Monterey Beach SportsFest 5th Anniversary
September 22 – 23, 2018
The Monterey Beach SportsFest is an event like no other on the shores of the Central Coast this September 22 and 23. The Monterey Beach SportsFest is a celebration of Healthy People, Healthy Oceans, bringing together a series of ocean focused conservation and educational resources and a variety of athletic disciplines. There a multitude of free outdoor activities ranging from yoga, Zumba to kids sand castle team building and live musical entertainment.
From beach volleyball to cold-water swim competitions, SUP/Prone paddling, Kayak racing, and a unique multisport event called the Ikaika Challenge which combines swimming, strength activities and beach running, there is competition for teams and individuals during the two-day event held at Del Monte Beach in downtown Monterey. There will a tire flipping, pull-up and push-up contest for the “Fittest on the Beach!!!
The Monterey Beach SportsFest will be providing a “Day at the Beach” for 200-300 children from Salinas, Marina, and Seaside, as well as, the public. The goal is to promote Healthy People, Healthy Oceans and Healthy Communities. We want to ensure that every child has the opportunity to participate in a positive and life changing experience. With the help of our student volunteers from CSUMB, we hope to provide positive role models to become good stewards of the community.
Our future goal is to eventually provide a day full of fun and activities on the beach and then spend the evening at the Monterey Bay Aquarium.
Athletic Events Schedule
Saturday September 22, 2018
- Swims: 0.25, 0.5, 1.0 or 2.5 mile (Age group awards for swimmers only)
- Monterey Bay Challenge – all 3 swim events (0.5, 1.0 and 2.5 mile swim)
- Monterey Bay Challenge Plus – all 4 swim events (0.25, 0.5, 1.0 and 2.5 mile swim)
- Tire Flip Contest: 1 minute to flip the tire as many times as you can. 100 lb tire women, 200 lb tire men
- Push-up Contest: 1 minute to max out push-ups
- Pull- Contest: 1 minute to max out pull-ups
- Flip, Push, and Pull Challenge: Athletes will have 1 minute per each event
- Monterey Beach SportsFest Strongman Challenge – Teams of 3-4 compete with sand running and strength events completing with tire flipping finale
- Outrigger demonstrations “Battle for the Paddle” and free public recreation paddle – Sponsored by Ke Kai O’Uhane Outrigger Club
Sunday September 24, 2018
- SUP or Prone Paddle Board Racing: 2 or 6 miles course
- Waterman Challenge :0.5 mile swim, 0.5 mile prone paddle, 0.5 mile SUP
- Waterman Challenge Super: 1.0 mile, 1.0 mile prone paddle, 1.0 mile SUP
Battle for the Paddle 2018
Battle for the Paddle Exhibition Outrigger Racing Saturday, September 22, 2018. Watch last year’s champions, the firefighters vs. police officers as they race through the waters of the Monterey Bay. Who will win it this year? You have to be there find out!!! This event is sponsored by Ke Kai Outrigger Club.
The Monterey Beach SportsFest is organized by volunteers from throughout the community. If anyone is interested in volunteering for the event, please contact email@example.com.
This event, welcomed by the City of Monterey, hopes to ‘bring people to the ocean and the ocean to people’ through its varied activities. The organizers note that this event is especially suited for spectators and families of the participants to view and enjoy. Everyone is encouraged to visit the beach, tour the expo, cheer on the athletes and soak in the beauty of Del Monte beach and the sea.