September 23 and 24, 2017
The Monterey Beach SportsFest is an event like no other on the shores of the Central Coast this September 23 and 24. The Monterey Beach SportsFest is a celebration of Healthy People, Healthy Oceans, bringing together a series of ocean focused conservation and educational resources and a variety of athletic disciplines. There a multitude of free outdoor activities ranging from yoga, Zumba to kids sand castle team building and live musical entertainment. In celebration of the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary’s 25th Anniversary, there will be a “Free” 450 yard community swim and movie night on the beach.
From beach volleyball to cold-water swim competitions, SUP/Prone paddling, Kayak racing, and a unique multisport event called the Ikaika Challenge which combines swimming, strength activities and beach running, there is competition for teams and individuals during the two-day event held at Del Monte Beach in downtown Monterey. There will a tire flipping, pull-up and push-up contest for the “Fittest on the Beach!!!
Terri Bilbro of the Monterey Beach SportsFest has teamed with Jason Companion and Ric Airada, co-founders of the Monterey Beach Open to offer a beach volleyball tournament for the 4th year in row. Amateur to competitive level 2-person beach volleyball will return to the beaches of Monterey.
The Monterey Beach SportsFest will be providing a “Day at the Beach” for 200-300 children from Salinas, Marina, and Seaside, as well as, the public. The goal is to promote Healthy People, Healthy Oceans and Healthy Communities. We want to ensure that every child has the opportunity to participate in a positive and life changing experience. With the help of our student volunteers from CSUMB, we hope to provide positive role models to become good stewards of the community.
Our future goal is to eventually provide a day full of fun and activities on the beach and then spend the evening at the Monterey Bay Aquarium.
This year’s athletic events include: Schedule will be posted soon.
Saturday September 23, 2017
- Swims: 0.5, 1.0 or 2.5 mile (Age group awards for swimmers only)
- Bruckner Chase Challenge – all 3 swim events
- Tire Flip Contest: 1 minute to flip the tire as many times as you can. 100 lb tire women, 200 lb tire men
- Push-up Contest: 1 minute to max out push-ups
- Pull- Contest: 1 minute to max out pull-ups
- Flip, Push, and Pull Challenge: Athletes will have 1 minute per each event
- Beach Volleyball (Register at Montereybeachopen.com)
Saturday September 24, 2017
- Ikaika Challenge Mini – 250 yard swim, 50 squats, ½ mile run, 50 push-ups, ½ mile run, 50 crunches
- Ikaika Challenge Full and Relay: 450 yard swim, 100 squats, 1 mile run, 100 push-ups, 1 mile run, 100 crunches
- SUP or Prone Paddle Board Racing: 2 or 6 miles course
- Waterman Challenge :0.5 mile swim, 0.5 mile prone paddle, 0.5 mile SUP
- Waterman Challenge Super: 1.0 mile, 1.0 mile prone paddle, 1.0 mile SUP
- Kayak Racing: 2 or 6 mile
- Beach Volleyball 2 person (Register at Montereybeachopen.com)
- Awards will go to the top 3 female and male winners.
- Swim awards for 0.5, 1.0, and 2.5 mile swim age group awards for top 3 female and male winners.
Battle for the Paddle Exhibition Outrigger Racing Saturday, September 23, 2017. Watch last year’s champions, the firefighters vs. police officers as they race through the waters of the Monterey Bay. Who will win it this year? You have to be there find out!!! This event is sponsored by Ke Kai Outrigger Club.
The Monterey Beach SportsFest is organized by volunteers from throughout the community. If anyone is interested in volunteering for the event, please contact email@example.com.
This event, welcomed by the City of Monterey, hopes to ‘bring people to the ocean and the ocean to people’ through its varied activities. The organizers note that this event is especially suited for spectators and families of the participants to view and enjoy. Everyone is encouraged to visit the beach, tour the expo, cheer on the athletes and soak in the beauty of Del Monte beach and the sea.